Dr. Nan Dunne
Dr. Dunne is a 1989 graduate of the National University of Naturopathic Medicine in Portland Oregon, where she engaged in a post-graduate year of training at the Natural Childbirth and Family Clinic. She founded Bitterroot Natural Medicine and served the Missoula community as a sole proprietor naturopathic family physician from 1990 through 2011.
With deep training in Nature Cure, Dr. Dunne is a passionate educator, sharing tools for self-care available through whole foods, plant-based medicines, physical movement, and emotional resilience. In 2012, she joined forces with Dr. White at Black Bear Naturopathic, expanding the services available to patients and enjoying the inspiration of seamless professional collaboration. Dr. Dunne continues her commitment to education and the safe, effective and cost-effective use of naturopathic medicine as staff physician providing acute naturopathic medical care as well as specialty services at Natura Health and Wellness.
A second-generation immigrant and first-born in a large family, Dr. Dunne led the way from the east coast to Missoula, Montana, in 1976, followed soon afterward by parents, siblings, grandparents, and friends. She and spouse Mark Byington, CPA, are the delighted parents of three thriving daughters, whose professional careers and beautiful children are continual sources of joy and pride. The garden is central to family life, making meals and medicines and a gathering place for beloveds to share. Hiking, hunting, skiing, and that dang treadmill keep her moving, while writing, sewing, and deepening spiritual practice keep her grounded.
Areas of Interest, Clinical Specialty, and Therapeutic Modalities
- Acute Care utilizing an integrative approach.
- Self-Care employing the many tools we can use daily to improve our health
- Anxiety, Depression, and Insomnia
- High Androgen Women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)
- Fertility Optimization
- Chronic Metabolic Conditions including obesity, insulin resistance, Type 2 Diabetes
- Cognitive decline/dementia management
- End-of-life care
- Individually optimized whole food eating; weight management; allergy management
- Botanical medicines including whole plant nutrition, herbal infusions and tincture, and concentrated standardized plant products
- Homeopathic medicine
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Specializes in integrative acute care, self-care, mental wellbeing, fertility optimization, chronic metabolic conditions, botanical medicine, homeopathic medicine, and hydrotherapy.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Nursing Science, Montana State University, 1981
- Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine, National University of Natural Medicine, 1989
- Master of Applied Behavioral Science, Bastyr University, 2002
- American Association of Naturopathic Physicians (Past President)
- Montana Association of Naturopathic Physicians (Past President)
- Montana Alternative Health Care Board (Past Director)
- American Botanical Council
- Missoula County Election Judge
- Institute of Health and Humanities